RE: Ain't I privileged

To: "'Paul Bland'" <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>,
Subject: RE: Ain't I privileged
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:56:15 -0400
Paul, you'll find salt everywhere after a handful of runs down the course.
When my bike was taken apart for the winter work -- we found salt in places
that I didn't know I had.  The chain showed the effects of salt even though
I tried assiduously to wash and lube it properly.

I use a garden-type spray can to wash down the bike (under fenders, the
chain, everywhere I could find) after each run, using clean water that I
bring from the motel each morning (vs. the recycled water that I hear the
car wash out there uses. . .).  One of the other bike racers didn't take
care -- and eventually had so much salt buildup that his tires were rubbing
on the inside of the fenders as he went down the course.  Friction means
lost speed, so wash, wash, wash.

When you get home after a race you'd be wise (I have found from experience)
to take the whole damn vehicle apart and wash each and every piece.
 Really -- the stuff's insidious and attention needs to be paid to getting
it out of there.

I've got a couple of souvenir clumps of salt that were still stuck in the
fenders of the trailer when we got home -- a 2,000 mile trip from Utah to
Michigan's Upper Peninsula, complete with hosing down and several
rainstorms.  I'm taking a bucket with this year -- to collect salt for the
water softening system here at work!  What the hell -- might as well use the
resource that's presented. . .

            Jon E. Wennerberg
    Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
           #436 M/PS/G 1340 CC
2001: 200.471 mph - 2002 GOAL: 220.554++mph
        Marquette, Michigan 49855
          (That's Way Up North)