Blue Diamond

To: "list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blue Diamond
From: "Dave Seely" <dseely@sginet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:16:18 -0600
I have just helped a friend get his 1935 International Truck on the road and
he asked a really good question.  Can he run unleaded gas in the stock blue
diamond flathead six?  I thought he could because in the old days premium
gas was called ethyl because they added tetra-ethyl-lead, therefore the
lower octanes (like you would run in a farm truck) would be low or no lead
gas.  I know they now add hardened valve seats, but this is just an old
flathead with a loose old valve train and probably limp springs and low
compression because of the design itself.  There is probably enough lead
deposited on the valve face to last a long time.  What do y'all think?