Replying & "Clean-up"

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Replying & "Clean-up"
From: Elon Ormsby <elon@llnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:15:59 -0800

I get the digest format of the list and am usually about 3-4 lists behind
the power curve.  The digest tacks every email together. That means the
original message you are replying to, is fed back to the list along with
your response.  It is nice to have a frame of reference for your response
but that means the original message is repeated every time by every
respondent. It make the "Digest" an unwieldily document and time consuming
to wade through.

Could you kind folks, do some "cutting & pasting" and feed back only a few
snipits and not the entire text of the message? In some cases the thread is
so popular there is no need to feedback the original at all.  This is only
a suggestion, of course.  I love the technical stuff and continue to learn
something from every list.
   -Elon

[A noble request, but let me assure you that you are not the first to make
it, and I doubt you will be the last.  The 'Edit your replies' death trailer
is a feeble attempt to get people to use some courtesy and intelligence when
responding to the list.  It has helped a bit, but there are a handful of
people who for reasons of stupidity, laziness, inconsideration or whatever
just can't figure it out.  The land-speed list was one of the ones that
prompted me to do the Death Trailer, having the highest ratio of quoted
text to new information.  If it gets much worse I guess more drastic action
will be needed.  mjb]