Ardun/Flathead/Ferguson Conrods

To: bigsid@webtv.net, bk185@lafn.org (marco), bjgayle@aol.com,
Subject: Ardun/Flathead/Ferguson Conrods
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:56:43 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, technical tidbit for those who like Arduns and Flatheads.

Just received a set of Don Ferguson's new Ardun/Flathead racing rods.
They are made of 4340 Steel, Carrillo style, they use Buick Inserts
CB610P, are for a 2 inch crankpin, are 7.0" long(std. Flathead length),
use a .750" pin(std. Flathead size) and are $680 a set.
They look to me like good quality racing parts.  I imagine the cylinder
bore would have to be notched at the bottom since they are wider than
the Ford rods.

Just for curiosity I compared the weight of these Ferguson rods with
original Ford rods I have here; naturally, the Fergusons are quite a bit
heavier and appear much stronger.  On my scale the first two Fergusons I
grabbed weighed exactly the same, 640 grams.

A set of new 29A Ford rods supposedly weight matched at the factory
range from 492 to 497 grams.  These are for the full-floating bearings
on the 2.139" crankpin.

A bunch of new 21A Ford rods I have, not weight matched, range from 477
to 489 grams.  These are for the full-floating bearings on 2.0"
crankpins.

It is not surprising that the Ford rods vary in weight considering that
they were forged and machined in a number of plants over a period of
years.  I do think they were serious about matching sets of rods and
balancing their crankshafts in the engine-building process.  Original
production Flathead V8s were famous for being smooth, silent and
vibrationless.

The Ferguson rods can be used with Ford cranks if they have 2.0"
crankpins, but this would probably mean only a 4" Mercury crank which
has been offset reground to a 2" crankpin for a 4-1/8"  stroke.  Or an
aftermarket Ardun/Flathead racing crank with 2" crankpins which I
understand is standard for SCAT cranks and others.

The greater weight of the Ferguson rod is something that will have to be
taken into account at crankshaft balancing time.

Anybody wanting to acquire Ferguson rods can reach Don Ferguson at
Paramount Forge in CA at (323) 775-6803.

Cheers,  Ardun Bill