Another event

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another event
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:37:17 -0800
Right now big money can come and compete,  often
their efforts come up short against the desire driven
independent efforts, and the money driven entities
like the big four or so auto makers or someone like Kenwood,
seem fade away from the effort,  seemingly (to me), to
have more interest in higher media exposure venues
such as NASCAR, CART, NHRA .....etc.
*************************************

Well said Joe.

I site the example of the Rocket Ranger C/MMP that ran at Speedweek and
World Finals.

The project was funded by Ford. The driver at Speedweek was a semi-pro. The
driver at WF was an executive from Ford who stated after gaining a record
and red hat "we don't need to come back here anymore". I understand the
truck is now sitting idle(for racing, not shows) and will remain that way.

If there is more media attention Ford and others MAY continue to
participate, then again they may not. Remember this is mostly a
participation sport, spectators have really nothing to see because of the
distance and single car runs. The time between runs is often long and
extended resulting in a very slow day, very few bent fenders and staged
punch outs in the pits. Granted the people involved are most of the 'story"
and one of the main reasons I stay involved. This sport being media
compatible? Look at what happened to our beloved Rose Bowl in the name of
media.

I believe that LSR as it is conducted at our three major events is run the
way the paying participants want it to be. The groups of workers do the best
they can to present a fair and fun race for all involved.

If you want a media event go ahead and do your mid-America Challenge.. You
can run single wheel vehicles with class breaks such as Sitting Inside
(SI/1) or Sitting Outside (OS/1), karts, single C cell battery streamliners,
steam powered Lincolns, both vintage and late model,  and several hundred
classes with cubic inch breaks from 0 - 100cc, etc.

You get the idea. An event with such a diverse collection of stuff would be
media attractive, i.e. Ripley's Believe or Else. I don't think it would
maintain the viewer interest like a Survivor series does but, who knows, I
certainly don't.
Just make sure to hoist your Pepsi with a twist in front of the camera
before you spill on your Nike shoes and wipe it off with the Charmin'
tissue(double thick).

Dan (what channel is it on?) Warner