Six Cylinder Hondas

To: BWANA343@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Six Cylinder Hondas
From: Tom Neimeyer <tjn56@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 20:19:39 -0600
<snip>And regarding Honda  motors,didn't they have Gran Prix motors in the
60's turning like 16,000 rpms in 12 cyl engines ?  Absolutely
jewels,somebody on this list must have specifics.<snip>

Bob,
  I'm not sure about the 12 cylinders, but Honda did have 250cc and 350cc, 6
cylinder Grand Prix bikes in the mid sixtys.  They later evolved into the 6
cylinder CBX, produced in 1979-1982 (like the one we took to Bonneville).
They did indeed turn 16,000 rpm.  Jim Redman was the most famous rider,
winning 2 back to back Championships I believe.  They had a very sharp
exhaust note and were called the "barking six".

Regards, Tom