Re: Climate data for the future...

To: hdeaton@verio.com (Henry Deaton), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Climate data for the future...
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:10:40 -0500 (EST)
Henry, thanks for that message.  You've touched on something of
technical interest and potential practical value here for all us budding
Speed Trials tuners.

I refer to your $150 weather station that measures temperature,
barometric pressure, and relative humidity.  As I understand it these
are the constituents of Air Density, with the relative humidity being
the minor player in the piece.  And there seems to be agreement that
high-density air makes a little more power than low-density, especially
on unblown gas engines where no compensation with manifold pressure or
nitro percentage is possible.  The logic being that the unblown gas
engine can pull in a little more oxygen with the high-density air, and
if you add more fuel in proportion, your incoming charge has more
potential to shove the piston down with.

My question is, from the standpoint of practical use, how long will the
$150 item hang onto the calibration of its three meters so the low-bucks
racer can depend on its accuracy, before it needs a visit to the factory
for checkover??  And may it be upset by shocks in shipping, thus
defeating the factory's intentions?

At the moment I have one of Speedway's Air Density meters, which works
only with temperature and baro. pressure.  This is useful up to a point
in helping guess what jet size will be best.

Cheers,  Ardun Bill