Re: Some Drag Thoughts...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Some Drag Thoughts...
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:04:35 EST
In a message dated 12/27/01 2:20:40 PM Central Standard Time,
drmayf@teknett.com writes:

<< Aids to reducing the shear stress are the use of air dams in the front to
 keep the air from under the car (danger here also, because you can add more
 dam than is needed thusly raising the drag!)  and installing a smooth pan to
 eliminate the flow around the pieces under the vehicle.

 Mayf I don't even pretend to know anything about drag but I have always
wondered if some of the air dams do more harm than good. A boat racer I knew
had a fiberglass shop and made a nice piece to go under the front of his
Winnabago motor home this was back in the early 1970 when they looked like a
box. The next time I saw him he had it off and I asked why. He said he lost
about 1mile per gallon in gas mileage with the fiberglass piece. When you go
from about 7mpg to 6mpg this amounts to something. Larry Mac