Spam Sucks WARNING for others on the list

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spam Sucks WARNING for others on the list
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 01:47:31 -0500
I normally don't do this, but this has me hotter than that Tomcat. I
received an email today that appeared to be normal. Pretense was a video
Christmas greeting from a friend of mine. When I went to the link to
retrieve it. I noticed I lost my connection and then in within a few seconds
it reappeared. I didn't bother to check it as everything appeared to be
normal and seemed to downloading my greeting. Speed was super slow hmmm
what's going on here. Canceled the download and manual reconnected. Speed
back to normal so I went back to the page I was at and scrolled down to the
bottom of the page. In real fine print was a notice that I would be
connected to a premium service provider that could possibly incur an access
fee or overseas charges !!!!!!!!! What the crap? Seems the web site causes
your modem to disconnect and then dials one of them damn 900 numbers. So
warning to all out there don't get ripped off like I did. Needless to say
when I get my phone bill and this things on there I will refuse to pay and
take it the Public Service Commission. Yeah I feel like a fool. Got caught
with my pants down, doesn't often happen to me, but it did. Bad part about
this is they are using a Yahoo page to redirect from. In other words it
appears to be a Yahoo site, but once you get there you are automatically
taken somewhere else.

Just a little warning for others on this list.

Bill
"Now how am I going to explain to the wife that it wasn't me that called
that 900 number"