I Just Read This : Six or Eight Times the Juice My Early

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: I Just Read This : Six or Eight Times the Juice My Early
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:21:56 EST
12-VOLT CAR BATTERIES TO BE PHASED OUT
Some of us are old enough to remember when cars had six-volt
batteries. But in the 1950s vehicles got more gadgetized and
auto manufacturers doubled the voltage to today's 12-volt
standard. Now, in the wake of recommendations from many en-
gineering groups, MSNBC is reporting that batteries will be
changed again, to 36- or possibly 48-volt models. Of course
as this change happens, auto clubs and garages will have to
retrofit their trucks to provide the added juice needed to
charge the new models.

What this means is that vehicle batteries will be able to
handle a larger variety of electronic equipment more effic-
iently, from telephones to TVs to videogames.

There's another plus, with the coming of higher-voltage bat-
teries car engines can be more precisely controlled with a
potential fuel savings of 10 percent. Some say that with
increased voltage becoming the standard the move to the all-
electric car will be hastened.