Re: Seat belt update

To: "Gene Halvorson" <ghalvorson@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Seat belt update
From: "Bill Bennett" <benettw@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:20:32 -0500
Gene,

Don't take my word for the facts, but 2 things were mentioned in the
original press conference after their long "in depth" investigation. Causes
for dumping where mentioned as mounting improperly.  What was said was that
in improper mounting the direction of pull causes an uneven force on the
knurled roller. An extreme example of this would be for the latch end to be
at a different angle than the tension plate. This would cause a different
force to be applied at the top of the knurled roller than would be at the
bottom. Another cause of dumping is the label on the belt itself. If the
belt is too long or installed wrong, then when it is tighten the knurled
roller is locking against the label instead of the belt. The roller can not
bite as well into this label as well as it can into the belt material. Like
I said don't take these as facts just some things I heard from inside the
Nascar teams.

Bill