WORLD RECORDS IN EXCESS OF 400

To: "Landspeed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: WORLD RECORDS IN EXCESS OF 400
From: "Louise Ann Noeth" <lanoeth@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:45:13 -0800
DAVE: JUST REALIZED THIS WAS NEVER SENT (TRAILER PROBLEM)

I never meant to suggest any order, but rather that all three conspired
together in varying degrees and times. . . .

Money is only part of the equation, those possessed will find it regardless,
for they are driven to the speed, the need and despite all claims of being
safe, when you are so close -- as Don was, in the mile, on the return run,
and felt the tire deflate, he wasn't about to lift -- the pull of desire
makes gravitational lunar pull on earth's oceans feeble by comparison.

That said, Teague has had plenty of power, but never enough salt, given
better salt (and more) over the past 10 years I dare say he would have
pumped up the numbers. I found it interesting that when the salt had "made a
comeback" so few vets realized the virtue's of its hardness and clutches
were expiring with astonishing regularity this past years -- not to mend a
good dose of other driveline parts.
I pondered why the newly returned "hook-up" had not been anticipated by the
teams and then, after a couple days, the parts pile just kept on growing.
complacency? comfort?

Tires are a retail item and we all know there is no money in LSR, only pride
of personal best and that doesn't do much in the sales and marketing arena.
Only a chosen few get a select bit of sponsor money and or parts, the rest
scrounge, skimp and save to revel in their chosen passion. Look at Teague,
Vesco -- the fastest on earth with their wheel-driven marvels and they run
on tires that are old enough to vote. there is no market, no prestige, or
ego driving the manufacturers wild to produce a 500+ plus tires, so the
racer takes what's out there and rolls the dice.

Vesco has  a commitment from Mickey Thompson Tires, but he needed to run
plus 450 and nail an FIA record to get it. That's some mighty high stakes to
prove yourself worthy of sponsorship.

We have a great team, but all volunteer and we benefit only when they can
make time to help -- unlike full-time racing enterprises where the crew is
paid. I believe, these and a variety of other subtle factors combine to make
trip up the speed ladder damned treacherous and tedious.

Be Vigilant,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

LandSpeed Productions
Telling Stories with Words and Pictures