Re: Women's LSR

To: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Women's LSR
From: Ugo Fadini <ugo@ugofadini.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:11:55 +0100
Hi folks!,
(for the one or two of you who might have noticed my long silence: NY
shock, kidney problems and too long hours of work on my models had me
loose track...)

Paula Murphy and Kitty O'Neal have been mentioned as former and
current "holders" of the (non-existing) "women's lsr". Nobody seems
to remember that there has been another lady in between, by the name
of Lee Breedlove, who drove Spirit of America Sonic I right after
husband Craig had set his outright lsr in 1965. True, it was more of
a publicity gimnic, but hey, she did 308.56 MPH (first woman over
300) and that's showing guts to me!

That said, I do not see how any of them could be inducted in the 200
Club since there exists no official record, under any sanctioning
body (something they agree on, for a change!!)

Now, would it make sense to have a separate female record or even
female classes in general?
Separate female classes make sense in sports where women would suffer
a physical disadvantage if competing with men, not were it is just a
matter of brain, skill and courage...
Indeed women have reached the top in at least one form of motor
racing, rallies and performed at men's level whenever they had a
serious chance.
Of course that's the point: women have a lot less chances to drive a
race car, and even to get credibility as drivers, so if anybody would
come up with some kind of positive action to allow more women to show
what they can achieve on an equal base, I would definitely favour it.
BUT, please NO separate classes! Several women have made it to the 2
Club in the regular way, by setting a "normal" record. I do not think
they get less respect than any of the men. Indeed, it  has been made
very clear by lsr historians that Kitty O'Neal might well have a
place in the outright lsr gold book (let's forget the 3-wheel FIA/FIM
problem here) had not car owner Hal Needham grown jalous of her skill
and courage and positively put a stop to her attempts.
Give a brave woman a chance and you won't see any difference!

Ugo Fadini
(currently freezing in Padova, Italy)

--
Ugo Fadini