Re: lakester design

To: Allen Young <riveroak@cncnet.com>
Subject: Re: lakester design
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 09:25:26 -0500
Allen,

Brazing...ok for bicycles, not cars. The only brazed chassis' I have seen, had a
lot of joints to distribute the load and were designed by engineers!!! Do your
self a favor...buy a tig machine and take welding lessions, then you can do it
for
life. Or tack up your chassis and have a pro weld it. Personnally, I hate mig
because I have seen too many bad welds. A good looking tig weld is usually good,
but a good looking mig weld may still not be penatrated deep enough. Too many
people have bought a mig designed to attach body panels, then tried to weld a
chassis. Mig welds are very hard and fractures can happen!!!

As for as notching machines, I sell a nice model from Tubular Dynamics but I
don't
use them in my shop. I notch all of my tubing on a 2" wide belt Baldor belt
sander. It has a rubber wheel on the bottom and I can fish mouth the tube in
seconds. The machine cost about $700 today but you will use it for everything.
It
is absolutely the most used piece of equipment I own. Everybody who has seen it
in
use, has marveled at the job it does. Investing is quality equipment is not
cheap
but if you intend on building your own cars, it will really pays off in the end.

As far as the square/rectangular chassis design goes, I prefer round but
building
chassis' is what I do for a living and I'm from the "cars don't have to be
tanks"
school.

Good luck with your project, keep the list informed on your progress.
joe