TC, lakester frame design

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: TC, lakester frame design
From: "Allen Young" <riveroak@cncnet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:38:54 -0800
Keith, Dave, John and list:    Isn't the old sayilng in the world of
management that "if you can't measure it, you can't control it"?  I would
guess that it's as true for building a bridge or maybe driving an LSR car.

Since I'm new at this and probably will make a fool of myself for even butting
in on the topic (but it is so deliciously good that I can't help myself) On
the traction control (woops) -- traction advise (TA) device that measures when
the rear tires are going faster than the front tires a light  or tone or
something "informs" you of that fact (whichl I think is an interesting idea)
-- if the rear tires are larger than the front tires, do they ever rotate at
the same speed except when the rear tires start to spin and then only for a
short period of time when the rears "catch up" with the fronts and then begin
to rotate faster?  Would this make any difference or would the TA device have
to account for the tire size difference?  Maybe its a nit and of no
consequence.  Maybe like I said, that I know nothing of what I'm saying!
There, I'll go back in my hole again.

Oh, on designing a lakester frame, is there any rule of thumb as to how far
apart you place the cross members?  My frame will be about 18 feet long --
does the length have any impact on the spacing of the cross members?  Should
the diagional members meet at the vertical members and be welded to them as
one unit?  The frame will be a simple rectangular shape.  I will be using 1
5/8 inch by .120 inch mild steel tubing for all of it including the roll
cage.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Allen in Oroville CA