Re: Active Suspension Questions

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Active Suspension Questions
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 13:40:49 -0800
Mayf.
All good points. The course is drug and as flat as we can get it with out
causing any further damage to the surface. The pressure ridges are
everywhere and run different angles, at different distances through out the
salt flats. They come in all sizes, widths and elevations. When dragging the
course they are flattened and some times a depression if left. We do
everything we can to back fill and compact with a slurry of wet salt weeks
prior to the meets.

When Mickey Thompson ran the two streamliners( the twin & the 4engine) there
was a lot of concern regarding the vehicles and solid suspension. Mickey's
remarks to the SCTA safety personnel was at the speeds he plans on going the
rigid chassis will not allow the wheels to react fast to drop into a
depression. It would be across it, say at 400 mph that's 352 ft/sec down the
course.

Now, the Noble - Green jet car did have a very expensive and Hi-tech
hydraulic active suspension. This was covered in one of the trade
magazines,Design news or Machine Design. Somewhere in my files I have the
article. Another thing was the belly pan was full of holes to let the air
under the car go somewhere and was exhausted through ducting in the back of
the car.

I don't know if a lot of the hot rodders are willing to go to this extreme.
The costs and design efforts for the average
lakes (Bonneville) racer I don't think would be in their budgets.

I followed and read everything I could on the Noble car as well as
Breedloves. The daily tech articles put out by the Noble camp was just plane
fantastic. They documented and published everything it took to achieve heir
goals.I copied everything I could find during the building to the breaking
of the sound barrier.
Glen