TC5

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: TC5
From: pork.pie@t-online.de (pork.pie)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 15:44:55 +0100
Hi Folks,

it's start, getting a clear picture from the different views we have to see the
the problems.

Louise,

yeap, the Thrust SSC contact the ground with the wheels, thanks to Jeremy's
(Bliss) computer program.
For sure, the mud of the Black Rock was blastert to sand when he went through
the sound barrier, but this was not only the shock wave, there was another
reason, but to explain this, it will need too long.

The aerodynamic of a thrust powered car is not so important, as to a low
powered
streamliner. The aerodynamic on a jet car, has to do one thing, keep the damn
overpowered vehicle on the ground.

On a belly tank or on a roadster, forget there the 6/7 degree angle. They are
so
much other influence on the airflow - open wheels as a example, that the
mistake
with the 7 degree instead of the 6 degree is doesn't matter.
By the way - the most belly tanks got the 7 degree, you only got a problem to
see this. Ask me in August, when I'm back on the salt, I will show the 7 degree.

As I wrote before, don't ask me for a explanation for this 6 and 7 degree
different.
When I work sometimes in the windtunnel in Stuttgart Vaihingen, we are getting
surprises, which we can not believe - special if you know the aerodynamic
theory.

I wrote this with the 6/7 degree not as a comment to the TC issue, I wrote
this,
to show, that there are possible improvements on the streamliner, to increas
the
speed with only small modifications.

By the way, my friends Don & Terry (#286), done the same mistake - the base
design was done from a aeroplane aerodynanic, before I was involed in this
project. I work on to eliminate this problems step by step.

Great, I'm reading now, that they start to understood what I liked to explain
with the TC.

There are so much parameters and influence - bumps, loosing the contact,
different kind of salt top surface - soft, wet, hard - weight of the car and
much more, that it will be very hard to get all this information - in a
fraction
of a second - (properly) under control.

Jeremy Bliss worked nearly five years to write the computer program for the
Thrust SSC, and still on the playa of the Black Rock he was busy to get the
thousends of parameters into the system.
Once Andy Green tried the Thrust SSC without Jeremy's computer system, only
using a analog, mechanic TC. The care was not driveable. Andy has to stop the
car, not reaching the 500mph - Louise, I think you can remember this day.

On the salt it will be more worst.
In 1998 when Andy and Jeremy was at Bonneville, I discussed this idea of a TC
and a active suspension, his comment in short form "forget it".

I agree with Russ, in his comment about active suspension. This makes only
sense
on a smooth surface as a road course, so as formula 1. The active suspension
keeps the car in the constant distance to the ground, to disturb not the
sensitive aerodynamic system. (Russ, may be I wrote it too much from the
technical view without taking care to explain it in a simple way and background
and also done no comments there. Next time I will take core of this)

By the way, stiff, means fixed suspension are not seldom. You will be surprised
how much vehicle in the Land Speed Historie got "no" suspension.
That a lot, or the most, cars got no differential, why not, if you go only
straight it's normally not necessary. But this makes a TC more critical. A Tc
has to work on each single wheel seperate.

But see this whole problem from a totally other view.

Result of this discussion over the last days, was, that (may be) a TC, which is
risk free, to increase the safety - not the speed (which will be a fine thing,
when we can also increase the speed), is feasable (possible) with a proper but
also complex equipment - and this means money.

We, who doing this sport, are the last amateurs in sport.

With some exception, the most of us spent all the money they got, into this
sport and the need for speed, are sometimes more than they can afford.

If we start on the salt a money race, as happens by a lot of racing
competitions, at last there will be only money rules the success - means (win)
records.
Can we accept, that money can buy a record?

If there is a TC system, which is so cheap, so that everybody can afford it, so
as this small telemetrie computer, which one of us on the salt developed some
years ago - I forgot his name, during the week he is driving around with his
small van and stopped by the cars to print out the graphics of the last run,
there is no problem to get it into this sport.

We like to be the fair sportsman and the last amateurs in sports
If we allowed that money rules our sports, it will be the end of one of
greatest
sport and frienship I know.

See ya

Pork Pie

Ps. Bob, I forgot to let you know. If you come to Germany, let me know, you are
always welcome, so as everybody, who are coming over the big "lake".