Re: Tire reliabilty, traction ,weight sensors

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire reliabilty, traction ,weight sensors
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:23:34 -0500
Rick Hammond wrote:

> Hi All,
> Not to dive into the TC thing but I have ridden some scary pickups down icy
> hills
> off-road and I'm not a fan of those anti-lock brakes.  I know you weren't
> refering to
> bikes, but at speed what about the throttle as part of the steering?  I
>wouldn't
> want a
> system in the middle of that.  My microprocessor has an ear on each side.
>
> On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with data aquisition.  I think it
>would
> make
> sense to have maybe a bar gauge showing the amount of wheel-slip.  The driver
> could
> then decide on his comfort level.
> (ok, I guess I did dive in)
>
> The other data aquisition item I was wondering about though would be for the
> downforce/lift at speed.
> I'll be set up with 4 coil springs; has anyone mounted any weight sensors
> (pressure
> sensors?) to record the weight supported by each spring?  Would these be upset
> by rough
> surface?  Ideally they shouldn't but would the shocks mess things up?
> I'm not talking second to second, but to know if the rear end gets light at
> 100...140...etc.
> Hmmmm?

Hi Again,
Big Duh... I just thought this through; no need for high tech sensors (except
to psych
out the competition ;-) when, aside from being totally bottomed out, you could
get the
same sort of data from simple rods indicating how much each spring is
compressed.  This
could be translated to lbs if you wanted; same deflection at rest, but it
should give you
most of the info you need.

Sometimes it just helps to write a question down.
Cheers,
Rick