Re: Cam Shaft tool

To: kturk@ala.net (Keith Turk), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam Shaft tool
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:11:08 -0500 (EST)
Keith, that's very enterprising and a good way to roughly check your
valve timing.  But for the sake of discussion and thought may I point
out that the valve timing events the engine will more actually
experience are those revealed by a dial indicator on the valve spring
retainer with the heads fully assembled with the real springs and the
tappet clearances you mean to use.  And the usual degree plate and
pointer with TDC carefully established by the "positive stop" method.

The fun about it all is that you are bound to find slightly different
timings on each cylinder, which can't be overcome except by varying the
tappet clearances, which may NOT be wise for obvious reasons.  And
what's more, there is unknown flexing and bending of parts under running
conditions, which changes the timing events to a degree even barring
outright valve float (which itself is not unusual, even if not evident).
And finally, among other things, heat expansion of aluminum heads and/or
blocks changes all of the above in unknown ways.  And I haven't even
mentioned backlash in chain or gear cam drives.

The Search for Truth continues.  Keep the tech topics coming.  Cheers
from Ardun Bill