FIA Records

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FIA Records
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:09:55 -0500
Jon, Louise and the list members interested in FIA speeds.

I understood that Burdett Martin of ACCUS was still the Chairman of the FIA
Records Commission and being based in the USA he should be the one
accessible person that has the records at his finger tips.  I have found
that he prefers to answer direct questions on a class and distance though
not the general state of records.  He is only reachable by Fax and
telephone it seems.  (Louise posted contact details last year I think?).

The FIA website listing in Category A in particular is indeed a mess and
needs sorting.  Quite why there should be gaps in information that will be
on the full certificate (and claim form) is a mystery.   Speed Record Club
member (and member of this list) Ugo Fadini has many of the historical
publications of the FIA which would allow some of the 'old' records to be
crossed off.

Jon - do put the Category C speeds in your listing as it will remind racers
that non wheeldriven vehicles do have a home in this area of motor sport.

The FIM are a lot better at keeping their records up to date - but in the
mid 90's I believe they did 'freeze' many records as they changed the
method of calculation of the average speed of two runs (from averaging two
times in seconds to averaging two speeds in mph or kph).  Frozen records
cannot be broken so there are a large number of classes without current
speeds.

The electric motorcycles have an upper weight limit to Class 2 at the
present time.  I have lobbied the technical commission to allow more weight
but they have argued that bikes should be light weight machines.  (Which
when you look at the 'unlimited' cc streamliners weighing 2000lbs is a bit
of a poor reason).

My contact with the FIM is Charles Hennekam - their technical man and he
was the FIM Steward on the salt in '99 when we ran the rocket bike.
fim@fim.ch

Jon, if you wish to add a further list of UK motorcycle records you need
details from the auto cycle union and for the UK cars from the MSA.

Malcolm