Re: Fire detection

To: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>, "Glenn Ridlen" <gridlen@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Fire detection
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:35:14 -0800
Howard and list
Being in the position to see most of the fires I look at things a little
different. Fire,like, water takes the least line of resistance. A 1/4 hole
can turn into a blow torch at speed. It don't take a lot of air pressure
from any source to push the flame into areas considered safe. Ask Big Fred D
and others in rear engine cars.

The cockpit is a low pressure area and tends to suck flames forward, watch
the dragsters and in many cases the fire is forward of the driver. I think I
would want a fire warning light as well and going along with Howard the
ability to turn on the suppression system myself. I think all of the
streamliners have warning lights at least Teague, Vesco's and other hard
runners do.

Unlike closed tracks with lots of high dollar personnel and equipment we on
the salt or drylake beds have a lot more distance to travel to get to a
vehicle on fire or in trouble. We have patrols, a fire truck at mid course,
Chris and Ed at the 7 mile, Dave Kohler at the 3 1/2 on the short course all
with fire fighting equipment.

Our response time is excellent and covered by SCTA and USFRA qualified
people to back up the onboard fire systems. Myself, I would and have in the
past used the systems and being it's my ass that could get burnt or worse I
want as much on board safety as I can get and I want it simple to use and
fool proof.

Glen