Re: new ride

To: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: new ride
From: "rgribble" <rgribble@carolina.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:52:41 -0700
Sure Rich,
What I can't get over is Doors to get in and out of the car!
I've mentioned before that I wanted to build a Buick V6 Stage II "E" motor
with the twin turbo's I got from Doc Jeffries. They're Air Reaearch and look
brand new. I have that basic V6 motor in new pieces which look very nice. (A
4.1 183 block, McLaren heads, twin Cosworth dry sump oil pumps, etc.)  I
just don't know enough personally about those V6 Buicks to make them Top
Dog. That means I have to rely on someone else and I don't really want to do
that. It's because of this that I'm taking a hard look at building the SBC.
The Chevy would provide an additional advantage in that I could easily
switch engines to change classes if desired.

What I'm going do is to open up the Donovan aluminum GTP motor and check
inside. The dry sump oil pan is a cast aluminum piece made for the Cosworth
pumps and looks awesome. The front motor plate is made to support the
Cosworth pumps among other things. If I like what I see inside, then I'll
build a 260 cu.in. SBC and go with either 18 deg. or SB2 heads. I've got one
of those fancy Crane distributor's where you can time each individual
cylinder separately (optically laser triggered). The biggest burden will be
a new custom made crank and I'll go to Sonny Bryant for it. Another biggie
will be the custom turbo exhaust manifolds  I'll get the Wilson boys to fab
me an intake and use their NOS system also. I have an abundance of Chevy V8
stuff in the store and can easily acquire anything else I might need. We'll
use a DFI control system. I have experience with Accel since I have run it
in my Suburban for years. I intend to instrument the Hell out of this car
which will incude a complete on board data aquisition system.

I really don't think I'll get the HP/CU.IN. ratio out of the chevy that I'd
get from the Buick, but the financial and project control tradeoff is worth
the risk. Either way I expect the Merk to end up with 1000 to 1250 HP.
before NOS.which will probably be a variable stage system adding up to 300
HP.  Rick says the Merk went 208 on about 600 HP. Your guess is as good as
mine with the increased HP.

I expect to open up the Donovan on Monday and I'll post pix of it Monday
night.
Thanks for the interest,
Grib
"Do what others Won't and you'll do what others Can't for the rest of your
life"