Re: varity of classes

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Subject: Re: varity of classes
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 15:38:46 -0400
ARDUNDOUG@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/9/2001 8:53:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> dwarner@electrorent.com writes:
>
> > Have you tried to enter your vehicle at the Indy 500, any Winston Cup or
>SCCA
> > event? They do not add "classes" for non-conforming vehicles, why must we?
> >
> > Now you hold the ladder while I attempt to climb from the soap box.
> >

> Dan,
>        Well stated. Most of us start the building procedure with a rulebook
> in hand and go from there, building a car and engine for the class we're
> interested in.
>        Sometime back someone mentioned "tongue-in-cheek" that pretty soon we
> will have classes broken down into car colors if we kept up the expansion.

Doug,
You know red cars are faster, (except for maybe BRG ;-)
Ok, I'll admit, I am building my car the way I want it ('48 Pontiac with '64
Buick
300 V8 and running gear) because the salt will be a bonus and a minor
proportion of

its running time.
Yes, I realize I can't have a 'do-everything' car, (witness how many different
bikes I have) but if I can 'run what I bring' within reasonable limits I'll be
happy. (and not expecting to break records)  I'm not talking any short cuts on
safety or quality specs; I just want the V8 I like for normal running, and I
accept

that it will be outside the vintage class because of that.

That means that the '48 would run in D/GALT against the modern bodies.  I can
live
with that.
I was pleased at first to hear about the Classic idea, (excuse me for not yet
getting the entire proposed text) but as I see it, if I enter that there is the
'Forever' rule.  That is assuming (?) that a pre-'49 body might be allowed in.
The problem is, rather than building a dedicated car from scratch I had hoped to
run it as is for some experience.  This is the same thing as the vintage bike
racing crowd, where people are welcomed on properly set up near-stock machines,
and

go on from there. (the really good rule cat-fights happen at the top, high-buck
classes of course)  After that, I would be on the lookout for a proper vintage
engine for a proper assault.
Apparently not if I start in Classic.

I'm not whining; I can live with the way things are, basically making a lot of
sense as far as I can see.
No, the odd-ball classes shouldn't be cut for printing space, (I'll be there on
couple of odd bikes) and we can't expand/compartmentalize forever either.

What about that 'forever' rule though?  Wouldn't a 'year-by-year' rule
accomplish
the same thing?  (ie run once in Classic, stay in that class for the rest of
that
year.)
Cheers,
Rick

>        NASCAR & NHRA even have templates to regulate the shape of the
> door-slammer bodies, leaving only the graphics and colors up to the
> individual entrant.
>        To me, building the car first and then looking for a class to run in
> is putting the cart before the horse.

You mean you don't allow RWD/4LHS (4-legged, hay powered, shoed)