Merc Strokers

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Merc Strokers
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:35:32 -0700 (PDT)
Great memories...........Ardun Doug
> King

Right after I graduated, I was dating this girl
whose father was a local roundy-round legend.  He
raced with Fireball Roberts a lot. I had finally
gotten my dream, a 1940 Ford coupe with a
flathead running aluminum heads and three deuces
-not much more.  I liked the looks and sound, but
it was certainly slower than the Jimmy was. He
was running a stroked cross-fire mer flathead in
his (super modified?) 48 Ford asphalt racer.  One
weekend, he offered to make me a legend in my
home town.  In a couple of hours, he pulled the
almost stock forty ford flathead and tranny outa
my coupe, and dropped in the cross fire. (A job
that would have taken me two weeks!)  He took me
for a drive and taught me the intricacies of
driving a cross-fire, then turned me loose.  All
rolling start races from the A&W that Saturday
night - but EEEYOUW!!.  Sunday morning, he pulled
the cross fire back out and put my enemic mill
back in .... BUT, After that weekend, nobody
within a hundred miles would dare pull up next to
Dick J's black Forty! Rumors insisted I had a
blown hemi, an injected vette, a secret Chev
motor bigger than a 409, etc etc etc in that
thing.  I can't remember the girl's name any
more, but I damn sure will NEVER forget the power
of that Merc mill and I will never forget the
sound of a crossfire!!  Everytime I hear an old
digger with zoomies and a load of nitro I think
of that crossfire.

Dick J
http://phone.yahoo.com