Re: GMC 6

To: Jim Rose <jimrose@lightstream.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GMC 6
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:10:57 -0700 (PDT)
Jim,
That 302 definitely fits into nostalgia.
When I was in high school, (1956-1960 - and if
that ain't nostalgia, I don't know what is) the
flathead was king.  I had a '46 Chev business
coupe that was lowered, nosed, decked, frenched
headlights, teardrop tail lights, skirts, moon
disks, etc.  I blew the motor, and when I went to
get another one, the guy at the junk yard (who
knew me and my car) told me he had a 302 jimmy in
a schoolbus, and that if I mounted the radiator
in front of the core support instead of in back
of it, the jimmy would slip right in.  I think I
also had to put the motor mounts backwards or
something like that.  He then told me he would
throw in a split dual exhaust system and a Sharp
intake with dual carbs.  I stuck it in the old
chev and flatheads may have been king, but the
GMC was sure a lot faster.  The only local "hot
rod" that could outrun me was a guy with a 54
Dodge running a 271 Desoto hemi. Even a kid with
a new '59 Biscayne with 348 and four speed
couldn't nudge me out. We already have a guy on
this list racing a "garbage truck" motor, I think
we need somebody with a "dump truck" motor.  If
it was me, I'd go for it.  BTW, I have a picture
somwhere of a 302 GMC with a 472 blower mounted
on it.  Really cool.  If I can find it, I'll
email it to you.

Dick J

http://phone.yahoo.com