October Hot Rod

To: freiburd@emapUSA.com, land-speed@autox.team.net, bigsid@webtv.net,
Subject: October Hot Rod
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:26:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Dave, and List, I went out and bought the October number like you
said, and after a hiatus of 30 years or so since Hot Rod went away and
left me, I guess it's time to send in my sub again.

Enjoyed the Tom Ivo piece.  Saw him run his four-Buick car once up in
Minneapolis 40 years ago.  I remember he carried it around on an open
trailer, which had several spare blocks bolted under it just in case.  I
like interview articles.

Enjoyed the Hemi history.  Wish someone had said just how much the early
iron Chrysler weighed stock, they all just said it was "so heavy".
Maybe someone on the List knows.  I do recall first hand that one iron
early Hemi head was about all a man could readily pick up alone.  Let me
here mention, while we're thinking engine weights, that "The V-8 Album"
of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America, p. 94, gives the weight of a big
Ford Flathead V-8 as 575 lbs., and of a V-8 60 as 400 lbs.  I am
guessing that both were weighed complete, ready to run, but without
flywheels.

Dave, your main feature in the Hot Rod under review, your buildup of a
junkyard Chevy Big Block Rat motor, is EXCELLENT!  You put your finger
RIGHT on what the limited-budget(that's most of us) Rodder today wants
to know.  America is covered with scrapyards with Rat engines going
cheap, and as you spelled out clearly, people can build powerful,
reliable race engines from them. Younger men and women who want to run
something at Maxton, El Mirage or Bonneville on a budget ought to look
at one of these Rats.  If they don't want to go the blower route, I bet
for $500 or $600 they can get a used Hilborn injector and pump that will
work fine, build their own headers, get a low-bucks roadster, and run
about 170 or more at Maxton.

You're on the right track with Hot Rod, Dave, keep it up!!  Regards from
Ardun Bill in the Great Dismal Swamp, Chesapeake, VA