Bonneville 2001 Flatheads and Arduns

To: bigsid@webtv.net, bk185@lafn.org (marco), bjgayle@aol.com,
Subject: Bonneville 2001 Flatheads and Arduns
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:35:39 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Folks, had a nice chat with Ardun man Monte Osborn the other day, who
told me about his outing at Bonneville, and I thought it might be
interesting to review the year's results among folk I'm acquainted with,
for those who like Flatheads and Arduns.  Flatheads and Arduns Forever!

Monte took his '37 Ford tudor sedan back to the Flats again (stock body
except a slight top chop) and got a record at 155.508 in XXF/VGALT
class.  It takes a lot of power to push a stock body car this fast; I
understand from Monte the engine was tested at 471 horsepower on the
engine dyno, and showed 366 at the back wheels on a chassis dyno, which
is illuminating for the issue of powertrain losses. This year Monte used
one of the rare Ferguson Ardun injectors with the 2-5/8" throttle
plates.  This huge injector and his combination make the engine start to
pull at 3500, but with the racing rods, crank and main bearing girdle he
uses he reports he runs it to 6700 or so and it has been reliable for
many dyno pulls and a lot of runs at the Flats.  I believe Monte uses a
four-speed stick gearbox, and a 9" Ford back axle.  Monte and his
friends have plans to run his engine in a roadster next.

I mentioned before that Willie Glass, my near neighbor in Richmond, VA,
ran his A roadster to high figures and records of 167+ in both XXF Gas
and Fuel Roadster classes.  Willie holds the ECTA record at 163+ with
the same car.

List Members:

Hayseed (Dave Thomssen of Lincoln, NE) had the 6-71 blower on his
Flathead in the fast T roadster this year, and set two new records with
it, 145.349 in XF/BSTR and 151.282 in XF/BFMR.

Ardun Doug King had a fine outing, running his new 4-71 blown Ardun in
the Modified Roadster.  His son Brian drove it to a 217.922 record in
XXF/BFMR on methanol, and crew chief Kent Walton ran it to a 195.038 gas
record in XXF/BGMR.

Jack and Keiko Costella had Nebulous Theorum III, the tiny streamliner
out, with his turbo gas Flathead, and raised his own XF/BGS record from
232 to 248+.  I mentioned before that Rich Fox and I went to see Jack
and Keiko during my recent CA visit, and I gotta tell you this car is a
TRIUMPH of personal ingenuity.  But then all good speed trials cars are,
aren't they!

If anyone sees any errors above, please correct them.

Congratulations to all the above on this year's successes!!!

Cheers from Ardun Bill in the Great Dismal Swamp, Chesapeake, VA