Re: Musing out loud...and remembering

To: <Want1937hd@aol.com>, <drmayf@teknett.com>, <benettw@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Musing out loud...and remembering
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:45:14 -0700
on 9/14/01 6:18 AM, Want1937hd@aol.com at Want1937hd@aol.com wrote:

> As a student of history I like to ask one question: What,if anything have the
> Arabs contributed to the world? Camel excrement does not count. Bob in
> connecticut

Bob,

Off the top of my head (and I could be totally off base with some of this)
but as I remember from reading Will Durrant;

Our base ten numbering system and the use of computing using those numbers
... our mathematics for a start.

Their builders were clever in the use of levers, arches with a key stone to
support the arch, a variety of techniques.  If they didn't use these ideas
first, they certainly improved the mechanics of using them.  Our Western
systems of irrigation are mostly of Arabic origin.  They developed a system
of writing that was very efficient.

You have to go back in time but the entire Moorish influence, as far West as
Spain, is Arabic in source.

Don't sell them short.  Historically this is a brilliant people.  These
historical periods of extreme world power and influence are part of the fuel
that makes them so desperate today to return to those times.  The fact that
the denizens of England and Northern Europe at the time of Arabic brilliance
were living in sod houses and foraging for food may tell you something of
their frustration with their present sphere of influence over those very
places.

Wes