A Rookie's Dream Week

To: Land-Speed@autox.team.net
Subject: A Rookie's Dream Week
From: William T Smith <WmTSmith@landracing.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:51:02 -0600 (MDT)
I went to bed last nite dreaming about hitting 240 at
the 2 1/4 entry speed for my return run this morning,
so that I would have a good chance of hitting a 264
average or ten above where we ended up with the gas
record. The air was nice and dry this morning an around
73 deg.s. We got quite a reality check wehen we got to
impound whe we had a low frt. tire. We had our air
compressor there as well as our gen set with the ac
unit mounted on it. We were about the 6th or 7th unit
off on the long course.

We fired -let it warm up to about 120 degs. and Skip
pushed me off ( we only push for 7 sec. then I drop it
into first and get on it.  The course was a little
chopped up and I missed my shift point by 500RPM and
hit the rev limmter I was spot on on my second shift
and with it good and warm it pulled high to about 7350
in third.
Results: 240 in the quarter 269 for the third mile and
an exit speed of 271

all in all a very succesful 2001 Speed Week
AA competition Lisc.
AA/GL Record Holder
AA/FL REcord Holder
 but I don't think I get in the 2 Club because I think
that they have set the minm. at 270 for the red hat for
AA/GL and 280 for AA/FL.

I just thank my lucky stars that I met Skip
Higginbotham and that he need a eng partner for his
Liner/Lakester last year. wmts