Re: The first car I droved

To: Brian Falkner <falken@ihug.co.nz>,
Subject: Re: The first car I droved
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
Yup, I know right where it is, and know a lot
about it.  Though, I must admit, I hadn't heard
of it before you wrote about it.  I quicklyu
looked it up on

http://www.tararua.net/eketahuna.html

OK.  Lets see who had the younges varified "car
experience".  When I was about four years old, my
dad bought one of the first "new" Pontiacs built
after WWII.  He also had a home made tractor
which was built out of a Model A Ford with two
transmissions and an AA truck rear end with dual
wheels.  He left it parked along side the house
and I used to play "tractor driver" on it all the
time.  One day, my dad came home for lunch and
backed into the driveway so he could leave in a
hurry when he got done with lunch.  I was told to
play outside while he went in to have a "quiet
lunch" with mommy.  (Yeah, it took me years to
figure that one out!)  So, while mommy and daddy
were in having "lunch", I sat out in the driveway
and played "tractor driver".  I remembered how
dad had used the tractor to pull Uncle Harold's
Diamond dump truck out of a mud hole, and the
chain was right there on the back of the tractor,
so I struggled with it for the longest time, but
managed to get it hooked to the Pontiac's rear
bumper just as mommy opened the door and called
me in for lunch.  (Why was dad at the table to
eat lunch with me and mommy if they had alreay
had their "quiet lunch" together??)  So anyways,
we all had lunch together (strangley enough, I
remember that it was chicken salad sandwiches and
rubbarb betty) and then dad left to go back to
work.  You won't believe the sound that was made
when he got the Pontiac out to the end of that
forty foot timber chain!  The Pontiac traveled
about another 35 feet beyond the rear bumper
before dad got it stopped.  I still remember the
tractor, playing with it, hooking the chain to
the car, and the tremendous crash when dad
reached the end of the chain. But I don't
remember my mother hiding me in the bathroom and
convincing my father to go to work and cool down
before deciding what to do about it.  And I don't
remember what he did about it, but I think I was
found innocent by means of being a genetic,
minor, incurable gearhead.

Dick J
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/