Re: Tow vehicle spare tire inspection

To: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow vehicle spare tire inspection
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 19:51:57 -0700
Chuck & List

A couple of years ago I was going to El Mirage in the motor home running
about 60 mph. I was a little over half way and was about a mile from Cajon
grade when the left inside tire blew. I was lucky and near a turn off and
made it down the ramp to a safe area to change the tire.These tires were
only five years old and about 12000 miles on them. I lost another a month
later.

When I went to the dealer to replace all of the six tires I asked the tire
experts what kind of life should one expect.
Six years is pushing it, 5 is about as far as one should run them due to the
deterioration and de-bonding.  Air pressure is always checked before we go
anywhere. An old truck mechanic taught me a trick about changing truck and
trailer tires. If it's duel drive up on a block before jacking, saves extra
jacking. The second trick is a folding Army shovel really helps lifting the
heavy wheel and tire on & off the studs. Saves your back as well. I have
used one several times when rotating tires etc. It works well on dirt as it
is hard to lift and slide the assembly and trying to keep your balance and
temper. Hope you never need it but a small shovel is cheaper then a hurt
back.

Glen ( wishing everyone a safe trip to the salt)