Speedweek access

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedweek access
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:11:41 -0700
When you say the pits are closed to spectator vehicles do you mean that if I
am a spectator I will not be allowed to take a vehicle anywhere on the salt
to watch the passes? I was under the impression that I could drive up and
down the sidelines of the course to watch.
************
Jeff & list,

The layout of the courses and pit area at Bonneville is something like this:

The pits are approx. 2.5 miles from the starting lines opposite the timing
tower. Spectators can park along the course between the pits and the starting
line. The starting line area is open to foot traffic only for spectators. The
pits are approx. 1/4 mi. long, putting you something like 2.75 to 3 mi from
the starting lines. Some people will park just outside the pits at the far end
to catch the vehicles at
a higher speed.

There is a parking area just outside the pits for spectators. As you can
imagine at the beginning of the week there are many, many people and the
pits/starting lines become very congested with non-participant traffic. As it
is there are still many more vehicles in these areas than are required.

You may be able to score a crew pass from someone who doesn't need all of
their's.

There has been some discussion that the long course may be placed on the pit
side this year which makes for some really great spectating. Of course we will
have to wait until the setup crews arrive to see if this is possible.

I hope this helps, without a graphic a word picture is sometimes not too
clear.

Dan Warner