Re: Aeroplanes

To: RTMACK@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Aeroplanes
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 01:46:54 EDT
Russ, Very good guess, but not the car I'm talking about. Frank Lockhard was
killed in the Stutz Black Hawk Special at Daytona in 1928. The car was well
engineered and powered by a V 16 Miller, Stutz put up the money, no Stutz
parts were used. This same engne was salvaged from the Lockhart wreck and
powered the Sampson Special at Indy in 1939 and 1940, driven by Bob Swanson.
We share the same name but I'm not related. Bob in connecticut
<< Bob, List:
 I think the guy I remember was named Frank Lockhart.  Killed when he was
thrown
 out of the car at the "big-end", Daytona beach, if my memory serves.  The
car had
 a body something like a big, slicked-up 20's roadster-- but with slim
fairings on
 the wheels.  He was pretty "leading edge", and (for the day) his car was
pretty
 streamlined-- so I wouldn't be surprised if he is the guy you're after.
 Russ Mack