Re: converting from 6 to 12 volt

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: converting from 6 to 12 volt
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:25:58 EDT
In a message dated 7/2/2001 1:29:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
hunt@Kuentos.guam.net writes:

> List, I need help!  I have a 47 Ford Woodie. It's originally 6 volt,
> positive
> ground. I'm converting to 12 volt. I  had Matt Williams who drives the
> Raspberry Rocket convert the starter and generator to 12 volt. He sent me a
> 12
> volt regulator and 12 volt coil, also. I've changed the lite bulbs to 12
> volt,
> changed the cigar lighter element to 12 volt, bought two 12 volt horns and a
> 12 volt relay( it says lites), bought a 12 volt motor for the heater fan.
> For
> the instrument circuit, I was thinking to use a series of diodes to reduce
> the
> voltage to 6 volts. Also, same idea for the original radio and clock. My
> understanding is that there is about a 1 volt drop per diode. I would also
> like to use a NEGATIVE ground system. Also what about the ampmeter. Do I run
> the wire thru as original or backwards?
Terry,
       My only street experience with a Flatty on 12v is my 27 T street
roadster. I just ran 12v through the old 6v Flatty starter. They say that the
best way to determine the cranking power of a starter is to weigh it. The
heavier the starter, the more windings, thus the most power. You can't hurt
the Flatty starter by running 12v through it. The weak point is the
un-supported aft end of the armature shaft. If the ignition is advanced too
much and the starter "kicks-back" it will bend the Bendix end of the armature.
       Regards the ammeter, I'd just run the 12v through the 6v meter. If the
needle goes the wrong direction just reverse the leads.
       Regards the lights, change the bulbs to 12v. For the other
instruments, use a "Volt-A-Drop" or a rheostat resistor of the appropriate
capacity. Someone else with more experience might have some better experience
and ideas on this one.
       There's no reason to go back to the Ford "positive-ground". Go with
the "negative-ground" (Earth, as they say in the old country) that is normal
with the modern US 12v systems.
                                                             Ardun Doug King