Re: EFI 'd Carb Manifold...

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: EFI 'd Carb Manifold...
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:21:45 -0400
In my opinion it is like this, the factory deal is set up for emissions and very
good performance at very low flow rates typical of all the tests they have to
pass. most cars use less than 30 hp most of the time so the amount of air and
fuel is very small and velocity in the runner is pretty low, so they try for the
best possible shot to get the fuel in the port with very little air flow to
help. they also need the injector close to the port to help with closed loop
operation, keeping things close to the cylinder helps close the loop, same goes
for the O2 sensor. this is contrary to performance use. Generally you want the
injector as far away as you can get it for more time to atomize the fuel. the
carb converted manifolds are a compromise to be honest and the ones made for a
single 4brl are the worst. See my page for what a 302 ford intake ought to look
like converted to a race piece. the one listed as a turbo 302 intake is the one
to look at, it will support about 1200 hp.
Dave Dahlgren

http://www.enginemanagementsystems.com