5/6 @ El Mirage

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: 5/6 @ El Mirage
From: Drylakercr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:59:00 EDT
After hearing form quite a few list members that they haven't heard from me
in a while I decided to post a message.

Although we, that is my dad and I, did not break a record this meet we did
learn a few lessons which I won't go into, but concern a Hurst shifter
(thanks to Russ Eyres and Mike VanDoren for your help here) and the driver
using the Hurst shifter.

I must admit that the greatest part of the meet was sharing in the
wonderfully joyous, yet sad, event of "A Mother's Worry," roadster #52,
breaking their class record with the blown flathead. And it staying together
through the entire run! What a wonderful moment it was to here Ken Walkey
announce the record, give Tom Evens that timing slip, and see Tom Eiden's
smile when he saw his historical car in the impound (for those who don't know
about the car it was #1 in points when owned by the Brissettes and then my
family, the Young Bros., took it to 174mph with a inline 6 and now the two
Toms add to its history).

Many of you may know that Tom Eiden, the president of the Sidewinders, has
terminal cancer. The meet was shut down Sunday to present him with a life
membership to our club (the Sidewinders) to a teary eyed crowd. He is a great
man who has given much of himself to our sport and I am glad that we were
able to give back to him, and that his car could break that record that same
day!

Tom loves to retell people something I told him a few years back--"I never
remember when I didn't know him." Ok, I've been around the Sidewinders a
little while (since I was about 2 yrs. old).

Please keep Tom in your thoughts, that he will be as comfortable and
pain-free as possible.

Thanks again to all of you for your support in this wonderful sport we share!

Katie Young Cortez