6 Speed woes Solved

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 6 Speed woes Solved
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:47:59 -0500
ahhh Well thank you Dave yet again....

Did a run out on the shaft this morning and couldn't find anything wrong
with the main shaft.... so we took it apart and found the first gear bearing
and thrust washer was Toast.... didn't hurt the gear or shaft... just
destroyed the washer..

So got to thinking about it and called Dave Dahlgren up.... Yep.... " so
Keith did you check the Pilot Bearing depth"... ahhh yep several different
ways.... " go back and check it again with the imput shaft" ahh okay...
BINGO.... the Depth was off about .060 thousands... there by causing the
Main shaft to pressure this thrust washer into first gear.... hence it
siezed to the gear.....

Easy fix.... I had bought a conversion bearing to convert the Ford input to
the back of a GM crank and it bottomed out... so now I am going to make my
own Pilot bushing ( stock GM bored to accept a Ford Imput shaft ) and Life
will be good again...  Oh and Dave's Parting thought.... CHECK the Trust
washer in the Motor and make sure you didn't trash a bearing there as
well... Hmmm

Thanks again Dave....  ( by the way.....Glen Barret and Wes Potter both said
the same thing up front )

Keith ( feeling pretty good on a sunny day )