RE: minimum speed?

To: "'ARDUNDOUG@aol.com'" <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: minimum speed?
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:01:45 -0700
List,

Being a newbie, I probably don't have a complete perspective on this, but
maybe the newbies perspective is important in this discussion too.  First
let me say its been encouraging to see some of the established stars coming
to the defense of the other competitors, thank you.

Being a newbie I'm sure I'll fall into the "slow guy" class for sometime, I
certainly couldn't run 2+ with my configuration.  If that first step is too
tall new people will simply not be able to even attempt this.  Some of you
guys already know the blood, sweat & tears required to go 2+, imagine trying
to overcome that the very first time you even tried.  Not everyone has the
time, resources or even the desire to get to that level.  I dream about a
red hat, but if it ever happens it will be a long way off.

Some of those guys (& gals)in the "slower" classes have made heroic efforts
to get where they are.  Are you going to say to all those "slower" record
holders their accomplishments no longer matter?  I think the diversity in
this form of racing is one of the major attractions.  Remember, this is all
supposed to be for fun!

>From what I'm able to gather from this discussion the biggest problem is the
dust on the lake beds when its calm, I guess everyone suffers there.  For
the other venues, surely some accommodation can be worked out.  Perhaps
staging lanes like they have in drag racing, graded by speed
classifications?  Once several of the fast guys were ready, let them go.
I'll be on the short course for a while, but if I was on the long course I
wouldn't mind waiting for a fast streamliner to go ahead of me.

What Ed said about courtesy could go a long way too.  Please don't send us
slower guys home.

Dale C.

///////

    The biggest threats to LSR nowadays are: 1. over zealous
environmentalists, 2. corporate entities that are raping the slat flats and
not repleneshing what they take, and 3. a diminishing base of young
up-and-coming competitors.
 ....................Ardun Doug King

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..