Re: Head Gaskets

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "Tom Neimeyer" <3cbxs@ev1.net>,
Subject: Re: Head Gaskets
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:07:15 -0500
To further my "lecture" (big smile here), The technology that is available
with Fel Pro wire ring, or lock wire gaskets, the most special prep to do is
the old music wire support of the armour.  The most recent evolution is to
allow that wire "O" ring protrude from the deck only .003" to .005" so as to
not affect the core of the gasket and cause the "balance" to be off.
(combustion seal vs. fluid seal).  The typical gaskets don't require a
sealer.  Copper gaskets (spacers)when used  must be dead soft, and still
compromise fluid seal, so something must be done.
The optimum sealing is using actual coopers rings, or a variation of that
design.  Porsche and I'll bet most real racing engines use a variation of
the Coopers principle.  As I mentioned, in my turbocharged engines I used a
1/16" inconnel tube, formed into an "O" ring, welded, and filled with High
pressure gas to seal combustion.  (How they do it is a secret.)The remainder
of the deck is sealed with elastomer "O" rings.  It takes a little work for
the machinist, but is well worth the effort.  More than 200 HP per bore has
been sealed with these parts.   If anyone wants specific information, the
rings I use are produced by Helico Flex.  Not Cheap, but they don't fail.  I
will provide more info if anyone wants.  This is not necessarily an
endorsement, but statement of fact.

Rick