Re: Auto trans

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto trans
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:54:17 EST
In a message dated 02/21/2001 7:16:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
og_1leg@hotmail.com writes:

<< I'm need to run a auto trans in the car I building.(i'm missing my left
leg)
 My question is what is the best auto trans to run in a LSR car? Do you need
 a Overdrive? What Stall speed should I start with? I'm building a F/G alt
 car with a Pontiac 400. Anyone have any idea of the speeds I should expect
 out of this setup? 1979 firbird with 400 pontiac motor, auto trans. This
 engin had my friends drag car going 124 in the 1/4mile in a 3300 pound car.
 Will i be giving up much by using a automatic trans? How much? what rearend
 ratio should I start with at El Mirage and at bonneville?

 Jerry Dickinson
 So cal

Jerry,
    My theory is that:
1. You need the "tightest" converter you can get.
2. You need as "close-ratio" (excluding low gear) tranny as you can get.
3. The OD is fine if it will take the HP.
    For your GM setup I'd contact John Kilgore Trannys in the LA area. He's
in the SCTA rulebook and specializes in Turbo-series GM trannys. I believe
that one of his Turbos was in the Rich Manchen Lakester that List member and
SCTA Prexy Mike Manghelli drove.
    In the past I've used a C-4 Ford with the stock 2.46/1.46 ratios in my
Modified Roadster. The little Ardun didn't mind the wide gear spacing when we
ran fuel but wasn't happy on gas when it dropped 2500RPM on the 2-3 shift.
This year I'm switching to a Kilgore converted C-4 with 2.0/1.33 gears.
Hopefully it will help when running both gas and fuel..........Ardun Doug King