Stories

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>,
Subject: Stories
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:18:57 -0800
OK Keith
Here goes, back around 1953 or 54 when I got started in this hot rod thing I
wanted to get duel pipes put on my car. It was a model A , had a duel carb set
up and not much more. I was asking a buddy if he knew where I could get the
pipes at a fair price. John says sure lets go to San Pedro Muffler , I says
OK.

When we get there Jack & Billy Stecker have a car over the pit working on it.
Jack says it's a new customer and wants aluminum heads and twin intake along
with the exhaust system.

They can't get the head off one side, typical for a flat head. So Billy says
lets turn the engine over and maybe the compression will help break it free.
Jack says OK and John and I are spectating this operation thinking we might
learn something.

Now mind you the nuts are already removed from the head studs, They start
turning the engine over ,Oh the plug wires are still attached, when boom the
engine fires and the head with wires blew off the block and throught the
skylight of the shop.

It was a sight to behold and now and then when I see Jack we have a good laugh
over this incident. Ah the memories that come back when one opens the door to
the best part of our lives.
Glen(keep the stories coming)