Speed Records

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Speed Records
From: D2ABBOTT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:23:14 EST
Being a novice in land racing, take my opinion as you wish. When I see a
record or title in most sports there is always a "sanction" attached to it.
For instance, it is possible to be the heavy weight champion of the world as
a boxer in more than one sanction. There are olympic records and world
records. Remember the ABA before it merged with the NBA?
This said, how do I weigh the FIA records against the SCTA? Until they figure
a way to go head to head I will see them as two different "sanctions." 427
MPH is a record proven by the SCTA, 409 by the FIA. I don't know what the
rules were to obtain these speeds but I know the effort on both sides must
have been immense. When those boxing titles get seperated there will
eventually be a match in an attempt to get the belts under the same roof. How
about these two speed demons get together on a decided coarse and go head to
head NO HOLDS BARRED! I think a whole weeks of events could be held with the
"headliner" being these two 400MPH beasts. I for one would pay to see that.