Re: Multi-Engine Cars

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Multi-Engine Cars
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 01:28:48 EST
In a message dated 02/07/2001 7:30:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
popms@thegrid.net writes:

<<
    Bill; I remember the first drag car to go 150 MPH in the quarter was
 called the "Bustle Bomb". Twin engine with one in the front and one
 behind the driver. I think one was a 1952 Olds and the other was a 1950
 Cad. I don't remember how he had them hooked up but I think it was rear
 wheel drive only. That was about 1955 or 56.
            Doug Odom in big ditch
 Doug,
    I remember seeing the Bustle-Bomb run in 1955 at Santa Ana. The engines
were   not connected except for driving into a common differential ring gear
through two pinions. The front engine, as I recall, had a tranny and the rear
engine was direct drive with a clutch to facilitate moving the car in the
pits.
    Lloyd Scott left the line in second gear on the front engine with the
rear engine "windmilling" with the mag off. When he made the shift to high
gear with the front engine he simultaneously switched the rear engine mag to
"ON" and the swing axle rear end nearly tied itself into knots. It was one of
the most impressive things I've ever seen in drag racing.
    About that same time Ernie Hashim from Bakersfield, CA had a dragster
made from Model "T" frame rails and powered by a 331 Chrysler with a
home-made front blower mount cobbled up by he and Tony Waters (the first guy
over 200 at the salt in a hiboy Deuce roadster, powered by, I believe, a
blown DeSoto). As I recall the rail was also one of the first cars go turn
150 at the drags. I'll never forget the sound of that thing heading for the
traps with the frame bending and flexing, losing traction a little, and
making "goose-bumps" on the spectators.
    BTW, Ernie is a regular LSR competitor at the Lakes and Bonneville in his
little diesel mini-truck. He's one of the nicest guys I've ever
met..............Ardun Doug King