Speedweek Records

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedweek Records
From: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 05:01:59 -0800
Howard,

I still show up at 05:30 to open the pits for morning record runs. Even with
the two run procedure we get to see those fablous sunrises. The two course
deal was independant of the two run record. The USFRA started the two run
record and after a period of time the SCTA-BNI adopted the procedure in
order to be consistent for the racers. Course availablity also played a
major role in this change from the traditional 3 run recorrd.

The SCTA-BNI & USFRA complied their indivdule records into a common database
a few years later so that all entants would know what record they are
competing against. That one detail took almost 5 years to accomplish.
The USFRA & SCTA-BNI records had to be accepted by the 200 MPH club, also
keeping the racer in mind so that a united record list had some meaning. You
can thank Mary West, Mike Waters and others for doing the work on this
project. Although the 200 MPH club has their own minimums, in some cases
most of all the bad days are behind us.

Enough of another history lesson for now.

Dan (hate to see you go) Warner