Re: Rod & Custom

To: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>, Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: Rod & Custom
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:52:41 -0800 (PST)
 Dan Warner wrote:
A couple of minor
> > errors in the photo captions but nothing to
> be concerned about.

You're right, Dan, that's really forgivable.
Some guys get all bent out of shape when little
errors like that occur.  We ought to  walk a mile
in the other guy's shoes before we are quick to
criticise.  I watched  Will Handzel zooming
around Maxton taking pictures for his article,
and I could really identify with how much work he
was doing - and how much more he'd have to do.

I've dabbled in writing a little, even had some
car stuff published in a Petersen publication.
For that article, I submitted, and had printed,
about ten photos.  To do the article, I took just
over 300 photos in four hours.  Just as Will, and
any other photo-journalist does, I kept a spiral
notebook logging every picture with information
about the car and the driver/owner.

But, let me tell you, when you get ready to put
the article together, and you've got your
handy-dandy little notebook out, and you've got
300 photos spread all over the living room and
dining room floor, it's sometimes possible to get
one of the captions wrong.  I decided not to be a
writer 'cause it's too damned much work for the
pay!

I, for one, am very pleased with the coverage our
sport is getting.  Look at the last year and a
half of Hot Rod, Rod and Custom, Street Rodder,
and (I hear - High Performance Chevy) and you
will see that we have gotten more coverage than
there had been in, probably, the past ten years.
I don't think it's going to hurt our sport any.
There's no money to be made in it.  It has
already been explored by some high $$ sponsors
for coverage of the unlimited LSR records, and
they didn't seem too prone to stick around and
adulterate our classes.  Shoot, just this morning
we were talking about GM and Pontiac using the
salt for commercial means.  They did that several
times in the past and they still aren't hurting
us.  Main stream hot rodders still think in terms
of trees, brackets, and 1320 feet.  We all
started in the same place, and the sport of
automobile racing spawned several offspring. Some
of them go really short distances realy quick.
Some go round and round in circles.  Some go back
in forth in all directions over road tracks.
Some even get in the mud and drive over other
cars. And, thank the motor-gods,  some go
straight and really, really fast for a long
distance.  As different as each has become, we
all share the common love for speed, the smell of
racing fuel, and the the sound of power.
Thankfully, ours is still here, strong, and
healthy!

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *