Rear suspension & panhard bar

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear suspension & panhard bar
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 07:28:35 -0800 (PST)
When I ran my 67 Camaro at Maxton in October, I
found that the car wanted to wander a lot above
120 mph.  The rear was jacked up with extended
shackles (ala 1970s) to clear the tires. (These
were on the car when I bought it, but I didn't
have time to remove them before racing.)  I had
new shocks front and rear. The front had stock
chev alignment with 3 degrees caster. I was
running into about a 12-15 mph headwind off the
right front.

I have removed the long shackles and replaced
them with stockers.  I've installed two inch
lowering blocks.  I've opened up the wheel arches
and inner fenders for clearance.  I'm cutting 1
coil off the front springs. I'm going to have as
much caster put into the front end as can be when
I get it re-aligned, but that probably won't be
much more than 4-5 degrees. This should give the
car a pretty good stance for LSR.

My Question is:  Should I fab a short panhard bar
to run from the top of the rear end housing to
the right side frame to further eliminate side
sway?  It won't cost anything and should only
take a couple of hours.

What do you guys think?

=====
*         Dick J          *