Re: French Flathead Block

To: landspeedracer@email.msn.com (John Beckett), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: French Flathead Block
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:15:05 -0500 (EST)
John, my understanding is no, this is a development of the American
Flathead block that the French did later for their own military
purposes.  One of my own Flathead blocks is a NOS WWII Ford military
block that I got from Dennis Carpenter Co., which reportedly they
re-imported from France in a large quantity from US military equipment
shipped there long ago.  But this block is identical to that in a '41-
'42 Ford car, 85 HP with 3-1/16" bores, that D.C. bored to 3-3/16"
before they sold it to me.  The old-time mechanic there, with about 50
years Ford service behind him, said the same casting cores were used in
the small bore blocks as in the 3-3/16" bore blocks, so the casting
could be bored out as big as any Flathead.  Cheers Bill