Re: Cragar heads

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cragar heads
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:47:48 EST
In a message dated 11/25/2000 10:27:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kturk@ala.net writes:

<< one of the things that fascinates me about the SCTA is the rules for
 virtually everything...  I was telling a buddy he could put together his
 High school Hot rod and run it at Bonneville...

 He has one of the Crager Heads that he hasn't run in years.... neat
 conversion ... it shows just how primitive some of the early speed stuff
 was.... Very cool.... I could see a street rod made with one of these...

 Keith

Keith,
    Funny you should mention the Cragar (Miller-Scofield) head for the 28-34
Ford 4 cylinder. My early-on (1960's) goal was to get an OHV conversion
running on each of the early Ford side-valve engines, the 1908-27 Ford "T",
the 1928-34 Ford 4 cylinder "A","B", & "C" passenger car engine, and the
1932-53 Ford Flatty V/8.
    In the early 70's I picked up a "BB" Rajo 4-valve, twin spark plug head
for the Model "T". In 1978 I gave the pieces to a local antique engine
builder and 12 years later he finally finished the engine. It's in a Rootleib
Speedster awaiting the same guy to finish the super-heavy-duty differential
for the car (12 months and counting).
    In the late 60's I had picked up an "AR" (very early 1928 Model "A")
Tudor Sedan that had been sitting partially under a shed. The rain runoff had
rusted through the otherwise perfect front fender and cowl. Looked like
somebody shot it with a machine gun. Over the years I started out to do it as
a modified Tudor but ended up converting it to a Sedan Delivery with a Gibbon
fiberglass kit. It has a 32 center crossmember (so as to stay with the
wishbone front end while using a later Ford V/8 floor shift), V/8 Halibrand
Quickie, 16" Kelsey wheels, and a Model "B" 4 cylinder with an original
Cragar head, purchased from the same guy who found my first Ardun for me.
    Both the "T" Speedster and the 1928 Sedan Delivery are close to being
done. The "T" runs but is awaiting the rear end. The 1928 is painted and
upholstered but needs to be finished.
    The Ardun on the Flatty is in my 1927 "T" Roadster, finished a couple of
years ago...........Much fun...........Ardun Doug King