Occupation and personal bio

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Occupation and personal bio
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:33:37 EST
I enjoyed reading about other people's occupation and hobbies so I thought I
would share mine.  I started to work as an apprentice pipefitter after high
school and worked at this for 20 years.  I was interested in the welding part
of the trade and became a pipe welder.  I worked on three nuclear powerhouses
as a welder.  I taught the local union welding class for 12 years.  I got a
chance to work as a maintenance pipefitter at the AmerenUE nuclear plant at
near Fulton MO.  After 2 years I joined the machinist group and have been
there for 13 years.  I am 54 and plan to take early retirement next year.
Like most of you I read Hot Rod magazine in high school and have been
interested in cars most of my life.  I am married to Nancy and we have 4
children, all away from home so now I have some time and money for our
hobbies.  I have raced small outboard hydroplanes for the last 25 years.
When my sons got old enough to race they took over the driving and I became
the mechanic and banker.  We race with the American Outboard Federation.
Kevin is currently US1.  We also hold the straight away records with the 30
hp (C class hydro) at 75.559mph.  I have a l940 Willys Coupe that I have been
working on to make it look like the old gassers of the 60's.   It is about
80% done.  We went out to Bonneville for the 50th anniversary of speed week.
I got interested and decided to try to build a car.  I looked over the
classes and decided to use a 1952 pickup and have been buying parts and
getting all the info I can ever since.  We went to Maxton this fall and met
John, Keith and Joe.  They and all the others were very friendly and helpful
and we had a really good time.  I guess this is enough writing for LURKER!
Larry McAfee