Re: Bonneville

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bonneville
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:56:27 +1300
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
To: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>; <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:38 PM
Subject: Bonneville

> Chris
>
> Can you give us an update on your Roadster project.  When do you think you
> might come back to Bonneville?
>
> John

John & list,
                I'll kill 2 birds with this message, firstlly
Chris Harris born in 49 making me 51. Fourth generation farming family on
the east coast of NZ's north island. Left school at 17 and began working for
family the next year. Married at 23 to Lesley and have 2 kids now 27 and 23.
Bought my own property in 1971 as a total write-off block, 5,000 acres of
rough, steep scrub covered land and spent the next 23 years developing into
an economic unit.

Have had a total passion for Hot Rodding since a 10 year old. No idea where
the seed came from as no family or friends knew anything about it. Like the
challenging concept of taking a past its best piece of machinary and
updating it to a point of beating allcomers, a personal ego trip also I
guess. A very biased, devout Ford fan, rods have included 23 and 27 T's, two
32,3 window coupes and my current 32 C/GR. Other toys have been 46 Ford
sedan, 56 F100, K code 66 Mustang, 69 Boss 302 Mustang, De Tomaso Pantera.
Having an extensive workshop for maintaining our farming and earth-moving
equipment ideal for rod building when time allowed.

Following accident at Bonneville in 88 with 27 T, C/STR retired from farming
and bought a share in local dragstrip Thunderpark Dragway, that I had helped
develop when owned initially by the rod club I was a member of.
Built my present roadster in 97 and ran at the 50th Speedweek in 98 with a
partner who provided fuel burning small block Chevy and drove. All sorts of
engine trouble, best of 191.
Currently vice president of the New Zealand Hot Rod Assn as well as do some
automotive journalism and tech articles.

Will be back for Speedweek next year 2001. Are 75% through building and
installing a 370 Ford with electronic injection for gas. Son Lincoln will
drive.
This list is the BEST !

Chris Harris  New Zealand.